Compensation is a benefit paid to a Veteran because of injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain Veterans disabled from VA health care. The benefits are tax-free.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
The amount of basic benefit paid ranges, depending on how disabled you are.
Note : You may be paid additional amounts, in certain instances, if:
• you have very severe disabilities or loss of limb(s)
• you have a spouse, child(ren), or dependent parent(s)
• you have a seriously disabled spouse
Non-Service Connected Pension
Pension is a needs based benefit paid to wartime Veterans, who meet certain age or non-service connected disability requirements.
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible if:
• You were discharged from service under other than dishonorable
• You served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time*, AND
• Your countable income is below the maximum annual pension rate (MAPR) , AND
• You meet the net worth limitations, AND
• You are age 65 or older, OR ,you have a permanent and total non-service connected disability,
OR , you are patient in a nursing home, OR you are receiving Social Security disability benefits.
*Veterans who entered active duty after September 7, 1980, must also serve at least 24 months of active duty service. If the total length of service is less than 24 months, the Veteran must have completed their entire tour of active duty.
Education & Training
Many Veterans and service members are eligible for multiple education benefit programs, including:
- Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
- Hazlewood Act- State of Texas benefit
You will need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to provide to the school you choose to enroll under the GI Bill. Apply for COE.
VA Home Loan
VA helps Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. As part of our mission to serve you, we provide a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help you buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for your own personal occupancy. You must have suitable credit, sufficient income, and a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to be eligible for a VA-guaranteed home loan. VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms.
VA home loans can be used to:
- Buy a home, a condominium unit in a VA-approved project
- Build a home
- Simultaneously purchase and improve a home
- Improve a home by installing energy-related features or making energy efficient improvements
- Buy a manufactured home and/or lot
More About the VA Home Loan
VA Home Loan Facts
Texas State Veterans Cemeteries
Texas State Veterans Cemeteries are open to eligible Veterans and their families for high quality support for committal services and perpetual care of the grounds and facilities for all who served our nation with distinction.